Saturday, September 26, 2009

Dear Network Television,

You know, Hollywood gets a lot of flack for making bad movies, recycling cliches, and shoving unlikable "stars" down our grub holes (Hello there, Christian Slater), but as I go down the list of new shows premiering this Fall, I can't help but think that TV is far more guilty of this (Hello there again, Christian Slater). Unfortunetly, a large part of my internship for a radio prep service has been transcribing sound bites of "celebrities" talking about their new shows and roles. It's bad enough the people who green light this shit and cancel it 2 months later don't know better, but listening to LL Cool J tell me that the reason he decided to join the new NCIS: Los Angeles is because the show is "fresh...but also hot" makes me feel like... wait, did he just describe a spin-off as "fresh but also hot" or is he describing the dump he just took in my ears.

Which reminds me, why do TV executives think people like Christian Slater? His new show, "The Forgotten" deals with an ex-detective who now devotes his spare time to breaking cold cases involving unidentifiable bodies. I only buy that concept for a second, if only because someone as lonely and unbearable as Christian Slater would actually have time for that shit.

How about NBC's new hospital drama "Mercy"? Sexy nurses! Look I know it's not easy to be the guy who takes over at QB when John Elway retires, but I'd hardly equate "E.R." with John Elway. Well... maybe the writers on that show could fling shit further. I digress... The main nurse on the show has just returned from Iraq, so she MUST have issues! Oh my lordy mercy me! In one clip I saw, she witnesses a car accident and runs to some schmoes aid and saves his ass, and someone asks, "Where'd you learn to do that?" Her response, "Iraq." Whoooaaaaaaaaaaa buddy! She must know some SHIT yo. DAMN. Did she just say IRAQ??? HOW ABOUT she learned to do it IN NURSING SCHOOL.

But my favorite new show would have to be FOX's "Brothers" starring Michael Strahan. Read that again. Michael. Strahan. His father on the show? Carl Weathers... and apparently he has a brother who's paralyized from the waist down. So anyway, Michael Strahan, whose character is named Michael Trainor.... has lost all his money to a shady business manager (a la "Weekend at" Bernie Madoff), and must now learn that the love and recognition from his family is all the wealth he really needs.

Kenny Powers must be pissed.

- Vince

1 comment:

  1. This is why all real TV is being replaced by Jay Leno. We haven't even spoke of how Jay Leno systematically dismantled the Law and Order NBC death grip.

    - Justin

    ReplyDelete